PR: Student Strike!
An Evening with Gamelyn Oduardo - A Strike Organizer
Saturday, March 17th, 2012, 7:30 p.m. Join us for an evening with Gamelyn Oduardo. Last spring, students at the University of Puerto Rico waged a militant, ten-month strike fending off devastating cuts, tuition hikes, and privatization schemes. As a strike leader and law student, Oduardo served on the student coordinating committee for the strike at the Rio Piedras campus in the united effort to defend students against the attacks on public education. He is coming to share his experiences and draw from the Boston occupy movement as we defend our rights and communities.
- Founding member and student organizer of the Law School Students Action Committee (Comité de Acción de Estudiantes de Derecho- CAED), dedicated to the use of public and academic forums, as a means of elevating the discussion of current events, from a critical and academic standpoint, particularly those involving access to public education.
- Member of the Student Press Collective (Desde Adentro) and Radio Huelga, independent media collectives that hold a pivotal role in the communication of student issues at the University of Puerto Rico.
- Opening speaker at the Statewide Conference for Public Education, San Francisco, CA (2010).
- Speaker at the Coalition of Graduate Employee Unions Annual Conference: New York, NY (2011)
- Speaker at the National Lawyer’s Guild Law for the People Convention: “Emerging Revolutionary Movements: from Tunisia to Puerto Rico”. Philadelphia, PA (2011)
- Environmental Activist 2005-2011
- Organizer of “Campamento Playas Pal Pueblo”, a civil disobedience camp that has stopped the construction of a 350 room Marriott Hotel for over six years and has been an active voice against the privatization of public spaces and natural resources.
- Member of the Environmental Section of the Legal Aid Clinic of the University of Puerto Rico, this has been a critical space for formation, education, and action on environmental law issues, including the present struggle against a natural gas line in Puerto Rico that threatens the most important water resources on the island.
Partial List of Endorsers
- Steve Zeltzer Labor Video Project San Francisco CA
- Jack Heyman Chair of Transport Workers Group Oakland CA
- Angel Jaramillo Presidente Union Independiente de Trabajadores de Energía y Riego PR
- Rene Reyes Iniciativa Partido del Pueblo Trabajador PR
- People of Color Working Group Occupy Boston MA
- Hector Garcia Universidad del Turabo Caguas PR
- Chelsea Uniting Against the War ( Chelsea Uniendose en Contra de la Guerra)
- Wilfredo Mattos Cintron Universidad de PR Rio Piedras
- Law Students Action Committee UPR Rio Piedras
- Mass. Global Action
*Organizations listed for identification purposes.
|Event Flyer [PDF format]||750.07 KB|